A Buriton Timeline
An at-a-glance guide to notable local events.
An illustrated timeline spanning the period from 7000 BC to the start if the 21st century.
With answers to so many questions:
- when was the present church built?
- when did Samuel Pepys ride past Butser Hill?
- which road became one of the first Turnpikes in the country?
- when was the church struck by lightening with parts destroyed by fire?
- when did the famous historian, Edward Gibbon, live at Buriton Manor?
- when was the current school built?
- when was the railway line built?
- until when was the church tower completely covered in ivy?
- when was the Roman villa at Holt Down excavated?
- when did the village receive mains electricity?
- when were the Buriton lime works closed?
- when did the village first get a mains water supply?
- when was the Methodist Chapel in the High Street demolished?
- when did hop-growing finish?
- when was the Queen Elizabeth Country Park opened?
- when was a gas supply provided to the village?
- when was the new village hall opened?
- when did the village shop close down?
And many, many more …