Buriton and D-Day
The 1944 invasion through local eyes.
Like many parts of Hampshire, Buriton bore witness to a number of aspects of Operation Overlord without ever knowing what was going during the preparation for the top secret invasion.
This publication brings together local research from a wide range of sources, including a number of first hand accounts, so as to describe many facets of the massive operation ‘through local eyes’:
- the build-up of troops in and around the parish
- parachuting into Normandy soon after midnight
- landing on the beaches later on D-day
- the follow-up operation, including the Mulberry Harbours
- the lady with an inside track who missed it all.